Soups

Hearty cabbage soup with sausage and potatoes by Weezie

Posted on 12-11-09 · Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Hearty cabbage soup with spicy sausage, ham, and potatoes

Cabbage is a satisfying vegetable to grow in the garden like carrots and parsnips. It is relatively undemanding and available from July on in the garden. In the fall after hard frost, when you have harvested everything from the garden, it will keep in the fridge for at least a month. We consider it a staple, like carrots or onions, that we almost never have to buy.

Cabbage, by many, is considered a poor man’s vegetable and thus there are millions of recipes from around the world for wonderful cabbage soups. The following was inspired by the Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine, with my adaptations.

This is a hearty, fire in the wood stove, winter evening soup. It’s spicy, has a good kick from the black pepper, a sweetness from the onion and cabbage and a velvety, translucent, burnt sienna colored broth. It’s very soothing to eat. Pair it with focaccia or a crusty artisan loaf and it is a masterpiece. - Weezie

Hearty cabbage soup with spicy sausage, ham, and potatoes

Hearty cabbage soup with sausage and potatoes Serves 10-12
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large Vidalia (5 cups), 1/2″ dice
3 large cloves garlic (3 tablespoons), minced
1 large green cabbage (18-20 cups chopped), cored and chopped in 1″ dice
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, washed but not peeled, 1″ dice
1 1/2 pounds cooked Andouille or other pork sausage (we love Niman Ranch‘s Andouille), cut in 1/4″ coins
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 can tomato paste
8 cups chicken broth, homemade
1 tablespoon smoky or sweet paprika or 1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (about 4″ sprig) or 1 teaspoon dried
75 grinds black pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons sea salt

Brown the sausage. Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium low. Add the olive oil. Saute the sausage until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.

Note about sausage: If you’d like to use another sausage try to find a high quality, sturdy pork sausage that has some heat. You can also use less sturdy or raw sausages, but you will want to handle it in the following manner: If it is cooked sausage, brown it in a pan for 5 minutes, cut into coins, and set aside. If it is raw sausage, cook it in a pan on medium until done in the center and browned on the outside, about 5 minutes on each side, then cut into coins and set aside. In both cases, add the sausage 5 minutes before the soup is done to prevent it from falling apart.

Add the vegetables. Add the onion and garlic and saute until they begin to soften. Stir in the cabbage and potatoes, put on the lid and cook for about 5 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt.

Making the roux. Put the tomato paste in a small bowl with 1 cup stock and whisk until smooth. Set Aside. Stir 1/2 cup flour into the vegetables. Stir it in completely until there is no trace of flour left. Add the wine. Stir. Add the tomato paste. Stir. Add in the broth. Stir.

Season and simmer. Add the paprika, sugar, thyme, rosemary, black pepper and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. If it is too thick for your liking, add 2 more cups of either water or broth and return to a slow boil for 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings. The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to one month.

1. Ingredients for a good winter soup
  2. Building flavors: Potato and leek soup
  3. Mulligatawny
  4. Mom’s Uruguayo Pot Roast
  5. Garlic mashed potatoes + peas with mint and cremini mushrooms

1. Jolita wrote:

That’s the kind of soup I grew up eating. And still cabbage is one of my favourite vegetables!!! I love sausage and cabbage combo!!!

December 12th, 2009 at 3:44 am
  2. Ninette wrote:

What a great-looking comfort food!

December 12th, 2009 at 5:19 pm
  3. Denise wrote:

I made this soup today. With snow on the ground outside and the heating having a hard time keeping our house warm, it was a very welcome supper and so delicious. I am not normally a hot and spicy soup person but I thought this left a very pleasant heat on the palette that I enjoyed very much. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe. I hope you don’t mind but I would like to post this to my blog in the next few days, with a link of course to you as the person who shared it. If you prefer I not do that please let me know.

January 8th, 2010 at 8:49 pm
  4. Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » December 2009 Roundup wrote:

[...] $5 Dinners, French Dip Sandwiches from A Blog About Food, Cheesy Crustless Quiche from A Food Coma, Hearty Cabbage Soup with Sausage and Potatoes from A Smart Mouth, Super Simple Cranberry Roast from A Year of Slow Cooking, Feta Walnut Spread [...]

March 2nd, 2010 at 10:30 pm
  5. Molly wrote:

I made this soup when we had leftover cabbage in the fridge a month or so ago, and my husband said it was the best soup he ever had — and he really loves his soup! I rarely ever make something without tweaking it for available ingredients, but only I did mildly this time: add a tablespoon of sugar and substituted white vinegar because we didn’t have white wine on hand, and added more potato and onion because we only had a little over half a cabbage.

We froze the remaining soup and just pulled it out last week. It was as good as the first time! We bought two heads of cabbage last week with the plans to replenish our freezer! Thanks so much for this amazing recipe!

March 27th, 2010 at 1:23 pm
  6. Anjuli wrote:

Molly: I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Any soup that freezes well is a real keeper. Cabbage and sausage soup is just one of those things. Enjoy!

March 30th, 2010 at 8:33 am
  7. Sarah wrote:

I made this for the first time the other night, I must say it has the makings of a fantastic soup, however, the tablespoon of rosemary was waaayyy too overpowering and all I could taste was the herbs…I like the taste of cabbage, yet could not pick it up… I did enjoy the andouille, white wine, and the tomato flavors much More than expected… I probably wouldn’t make it again for a while only because my little ones are still too young to appreciate it… If and when I do, I would start with 1tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp of thyme, and maybe a tsp of Rosemary… And you can always add, but not take away… Thanks for sharing! :)

December 6th, 2010 at 1:07 pm
  8. Anjuli wrote:

Sarah: Thank you for the feedback.

You’re right, the rosemary is a typo, which we’ve reflected here. It should have been one tablespoon FRESH rosemary or one teaspoon DRIED. We also specified the type of paprika (if it’s hot, you’re right, one tablespoon would be too much). We’re glad you tried the recipe!

December 7th, 2010 at 10:12 pm
  9. Christine George wrote:

I am a vegan but your soup looked so good. I followed your recipe except for substituting Tofurkey vegan sausages and vegetable broth. I also topped it with homemade croutons. The vegan version was delicious! Very comforting on a cold night. And the spices made it so flavorful! Thanks for a great recipe.

October 8th, 2011 at 1:02 pm
  10. jen in michigan wrote:

Wonderful soup! I used turnips cut in small pieces for part of the cabbage as I only had a small head of cabbage on hand. I also substituted regular breakfast sausage and a couple dashes of cayenne powder – sooo good!

November 25th, 2011 at 5:04 pm