Basics,Family Recipes,Indian Recipes

Homemade Indian ghee if you dare by Anjuli

Posted on 10-10-08 · Tags: ,

Making ghee

Ghee, or Indian clarified and caramelized butter, is hard to relay in a recipe. There are many visual and aromatic cues to watch out for, and all are subject to interpretation. Learning how to make ghee in my family, like most other things, has always been show, not tell. When my parents were newlyweds, they went to India. My mother spent much of the time observing in the kitchen with my relatives. When I learned, I brought my camera along. Now, four years later, I’m attempting a written version for public consumption. So we’re breaking new ground here. Why? Because ghee kicks butter’s ass.

I’m documenting the process for you (at length, uh), in the hopes that some will be adventurous and go ahead and try it. I made this ghee three times, a true Goldilocks process, before getting it absolutely perfect. But all three are delicious. Ghee doesn’t disappoint.

It’s wicked easy once you understand how butter cooks. You’re basically clarifying butter, then letting it cook longer until the milk solids caramelize, giving it the unique nutty flavor and sweet aroma only found in ghee.

Clarifying butter, like many other processes in cooking, was borne out of a need to preserve. The process separates the milk solids from the butter fats, resulting in a much longer shelf life. In India, refrigeration is generally not an option, and by taking their butter one step further, it has a shelf life at room temperature for up to 1 year. Indians, my relatives among them, claim if it’s made by expert hands it will last 100 years.

Ghee vs. Butter
According to Ayurveda, ghee is very rejuvenating, and has many health-giving properties. Ghee is the most easily digestible of the cooking fats and oils. Contrary to popular Western belief, ghee is not simply something yummy to spread on toast or cook with potatoes. It is a staple in India, and can be used as a substitute for butter or oil in cooking when the dish is going to be served warm or hot. Ghee, like most oils, can be cooked at higher temperatures than butter without burning, but due to its lower melting point, it’s not the best fat to bake a cake with.

Here are a couple example of recipes where I would use ghee in place of butter or oil: Stewed Apples, Kichidi, on toast, Stews, Omelettes, Dals, Vegetables, or desserts like bread pudding.

For more, check out these recipes. Also, check out our post on how to make butter to make a truly homemade ghee out of a delicious cream.

How to make ghee
2 pounds unsalted butter, easier if in blocks (or check out our post on how to make butter!)

Tools:
Heavy-bottomed sauce pan
Unbleached fine cheese cloth
Metal funnel
Wooden spoon
Glass container with clasping lid that can withstand heat

Goldilocks

Tips:
Purchasing unsalted butter in blocks instead of sticks makes the unwrapping process much easier. Ghee, like butter, tastes differently depending on the source. So don’t go out and buy cheap butter just because you’re making it in bulk. Remember, the ghee will last for a year. Even if you cook it a little too long or not enough, as long as you didn’t burn it, keep it. If it’s overcooked, taste it once it sets. On the flip side, if the milk solids didn’t caramelize, you made clarified butter. So congrats, just store it in the fridge and use it within 1-2 months.

When you stir the butter, you need to glide your spoon across the bottom of the pan, and scrape up any of the milk solids that have settled so they don’t stick and burn. This is important from the point when the butter starts boiling on. Making ghee is a patient, observant, and peaceful process, so let it be just that.

To measure doneness, check the photo to the left. The first row in the color chart is the liquid once it’s been strained into the container, and the second row is right before it’s removed from the heat. You can see the color is retained. You’re looking for the butter to go from yellow (on the left), to a slight orange (middle column). If it gets to the darker brown (right column), you’ve gone a little too far.

Note on time:
If you’re using less butter, this process will go faster. It also depends on the diameter of your pan. A smaller pan will cook the butter more slowly, but require more attention. But if the pan is too big and the butter too thinly dispersed, the ghee can easily stick and burn. For two pounds, a 10″ sauce pan is just perfect. So you can adjust from there.

Step 1

Step 1 – Unwrap the butter and setup shop
Unwrap the butter and cut into chunks (4 or 5 per stick, etc). Heat the butter on medium-low to low in the sauce pan. Set a timer for 45 minutes.

Fold your cheese cloth so there are four layers, and lay it in the strainer. Don’t wait until the last minute to do this, as there won’t be time! Place the bottle in the sink, and set the strainer propped in its mouth.

Step 2 - melt the butter
Step 2 – Melt the butter
Within the first 8-10 minutes, the butter will melt. Give it a stir with your spoon to see where it’s at, and then let it sit.

Step 3 - butter boils and froths
Step 3 – Butter begins to froth and then boil
Within the next 5 minutes, the butter will begin to froth. Give it a stir, and continue stirring every minute from now on. Glide your spoon across the bottom at this point, and kick up the milk solids.

Around 15-18 minutes, the butter will start to boil, and continue for the next 7-10 minutes, first hard, then more gently. Stir consistently. After about 30 minutes, the boil will slow. The butter will start to smell like clarified butter, and you’ll want to dunk a lobster in it.

Step 4 - milk solids separate
Step 4 – Milk solids separate
At this point (30-35 minutes), the sea of foam will part, and the milk solids will begin to clump together. Watch the edges of the pan at this point. You will notice their change in color as the milk solids cook and finally caramelize. The aroma will be stronger still, but still like butter.

Step 5 - milk solids begin to caramelize
Step 5 – Milk solids begin to caramelize
The last 8-10 minutes, you need to watch the edges of the pan carefully, and observe the change in color. Continue to stir and scrape. The surface should be mostly clear. If you’re unsure of where things are at, scoop up some solids from the bottom and check its color. If it’s still white or light tan, you’ve got 5 more minutes to go. You are waiting for the butter to turn into a beautiful orange color, the milk solids to caramelize into a light-to-medium brown, and most noticeably, fizzy bubbles to form on the surface of the butter. The aroma will change slightly, smelling more sweet and caramel-y. Be ready with your strainer.

Step 6 - Donezo

Step 6 – Those fizzy bubbles, strain!
Once bubbles begin to form on the surface, right around 45 minutes, pull up some solids from the bottom and check the edges. They should be medium brown. Take the butter off the heat immediately and strain, as it will continue to cook until you get it out of the pan. When straining, you can dump all of the brown solids on top of your cheese cloth, but make sure none gets into the ghee. You will have a tiny film on the bottom, but ah, c’est la vie. It’ll still keep for a year.

Oh hi beauty
Step 7 – Patience, it needs to set
Keep the lid open until it completely cools (left, cooled; right, just strained and still hot). Setting can take up to 12 hours. Eat it, love it, become converted like me. Ghee rules.

Now that you’ve made ghee, find out where to go from here.

Note on the finished product:
Once it is set, you should have a smooth, light golden color (properly cooked it’s more gold than yellow from the caramelization) solid that is uniform throughout. It should stay solid at room temp (65-75F).

………Troubleshooting – What went wrong?………

My ghee smells burnt and is dark amber in color. This means you cooked the ghee a little too long and in the process burned the milk solids, which gives the ghee a burnt taste. This is the only case, really, where you’d want to toss your ghee and start again. If you do, make sure to cook the ghee on a low temperature and really watch for a color change. Turn on all the lights and look into the pot!

I can only find salted butter. You can still make delicious ghee with salted butter. And no, it won’t be salty.

The butter will froth a bit more during the steps in the instructions where I would indicate it should bubble. Make your ghee in a slightly larger pot to prevent the froth from overflowing, and give it a stir when it does froth up to bring it down in volume. If you’re worried about overflow, you can also just take it off the heat for a moment and stir and things will calm down. The resulting ghee will taste fabulous but have a slightly gritty texture. Also, those milk solids, don’t eat ‘em. That’s where all the salt will go! Pour those puppies down the drain.

I can only find butter with emulsifiers and other ingredients in it. I would not suggest making ghee from anything other than real, pure butter. I would not suggest making it from spreadable butters, those with emulsifiers or added vitamins, minerals, you name it. Anything that gives it texture will turn gummy and gross in the pan; any added vitamins, etc, will give it an off flavor and probably be destroyed in the process anyways. You just want real, old-fashioned butter. If you can’t find the stuff, here’s a real simple way to make it from cream.

My ghee has separated, or has white spots or is not uniform in color. This is usually a cooling problem. You want to let your ghee sit at room temperature with the lid cocked (to prevent particles falling in) enough to allow the cooling to happen naturally. You don’t want to stick hot ghee in the fridge, put it in front of an open window, or seal it prematurely. All these things aren’t bad, necessarily, but they will affect the color and sometimes cause the liquid to separate from the solid.

But hell, my aunt, who taught me how to make ghee, sometimes makes hers where the liquid and solid are completely separate. And a good friend of ours sells the most delicious ghee and only recently has he been able to streamline the cooling process and prevent little white spots from forming. So don’t fuss too much. It’s all ghee and it’s all good.

Ghee on Foodista

1. Poor man’s rich food: Kichidi with peas and cauliflower

1. Micha wrote:

I’m really excited that you posted this…I don’t know how soon I’ll get to it, but I definitely would love to try making my own ghee! Thanks for sharing!

October 10th, 2008 at 7:12 pm
  2. annie wrote:

i LOVE your website :)

October 10th, 2008 at 8:32 pm
  3. RAMANI wrote:

gosh you make this look so easy. I could taste the ghee as I was reading this meticulously crafted recipe. You are the best.

October 10th, 2008 at 10:43 pm
  4. soopling wrote:

Can you do anything with the milk fat solids you’ve skimmed off?

October 11th, 2008 at 10:52 pm
  5. Anjuli wrote:

Soopling, that is an excellent question. I have always been taught to mix it with sugar and eat it. Granted, you can only stomach a couple of bites, but they’re definitely worth it. As for more legitimate recipes, I will need to ask my grandmother and get back to you.

October 12th, 2008 at 3:47 pm
  6. Karen wrote:

Hi

How can i use this wonderful ghee in daily cooking ? Is it less fat than intire butter ? Can it substitute oil – olive oil fx ?
    Greetings from Denmark.

October 14th, 2008 at 3:09 pm
  7. Anjuli wrote:

Hi Karen, I’ve been thinking about publishing a bunch of recipes including ghee since I posted how to make it. Yes, ghee is less fatty, due to the fact that you strain off the milk fats. Ghee can be used in place of butter or oil when sauteing, deep frying, etc, so long as the dish is going to be eaten hot. Think of it as a semi-solid, and you’ll get my point. So as a semi-solid, it’s not good for cold dishes or baking. It also has more flavor than butter, so you shouldn’t use in a dish that you wouldn’t want that sweet nuttiness. I use it when making eggs, sauteing veggies, on toast, when making pan desserts.

Here’s a couple examples:

More to come. Hope this helps!

October 14th, 2008 at 3:23 pm
  8. Patty wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I always wanted to make this, and the pictures are great.
    I do have 2 questions though. In the last picture what is the difference between the 2 jars? Is one cold and one room temperature?
    And does the ghee need to be kept in the fridge?
    Thanks again for your blog.

October 17th, 2008 at 10:29 am
  9. Anjuli wrote:

Patty:

Yes, in the last photo the left one is cooled, and the right has just been taken off the heat and poured into the jar.

Ghee can be kept at room temperature outside of the fridge, and unlike butter, it’s totally fine if it becomes more liquid and then more solid repeatedly (as the kitchen temp changes). Clarified butter, however, should be kept in the fridge.

Anjuli

October 17th, 2008 at 6:38 pm
  10. Jude wrote:

Thanks for the wonderful picures and guide. This is going to be really useful.

October 18th, 2008 at 11:22 am
  11. soopling wrote:

thanks for the reply! mixing with sugar…wow.

October 21st, 2008 at 10:34 pm
  12. Suji Halwa Recipe - Indian Semolina and Raisin Pudding | Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté wrote:

[...] ghee at A Smart Mouth Similar [...]

October 22nd, 2008 at 12:59 am
  13. philbert rajiv obuchel wrote:

well am bitten and to tell you the truth am into making ghee commercially and this is exactly what i needed thanx alot to all

November 5th, 2008 at 6:16 am
  14. gaga wrote:

How interesting, thanks for sharing how to make ghee. I’m just starting to get into Indian cooking and I’m sure this’ll come in handy!

November 10th, 2008 at 2:01 am
  15. varsha wrote:

The age old way to test whether the ghee is done is to put in a couple of drops of water into the pan. This triggers off a distinct bubble crackling sound. Keep it on for about half a minute on low heat to boil off the water then strain, store and use!

November 18th, 2008 at 4:43 am
  16. Ranjita wrote:

Thanks for the detailed and illustrated steps. They were extremely useful when I made ghee yesterday. Turned out excellent! I just wanted to mention that I used 1 lb. of butter instead of 2 lb. and my cooking time was reduced in almost exactly half.

November 24th, 2008 at 8:57 am
  17. Anjuli wrote:

Philbert: Thanks! Who do you make ghee for?

Gaga: Making homemade ghee definitely helps with both Indian cooking, but also other recipes as well.

Varsha: Interesting, I haven’t heard this one. Very helpful.

Ranjita: I actually made a smaller amount of ghee over the holidays with the same outcome as you. Cheers. Glad it worked out!

December 2nd, 2008 at 12:06 am
  18. noni stremming wrote:

thank you for the wonderful picture tutorial!
    i have always wanted to ask a friend who is from india how to make this bbu twith 4 kids i never had the time!.. thanks so much i will get right on it(now that they are all in school.. freeedooommm!)
    i love your site, it is very well done

January 16th, 2009 at 3:10 am
  19. Candice wrote:

Thanks so much for the step by step. This is the first I’ve made it and it worked like a charm!!

February 10th, 2009 at 6:19 pm
  20. bob wrote:

Hi there!
    I looked at a bunch of sites before deciding on yours to walk me through my first attempt at making ghee. Medium high or medium low heat,skim or leave the foam, stir or not to stir. Those were the questions and each site had different answers. Yours seemed to to be best. I followed to the letter, (and color) and guess what! MY FIRST BATCH LOOKS GREAT!!!! Thank you for your great directions!!!! Hope your trip to Japan is great! Bob

February 18th, 2009 at 7:57 pm
  21. BarbWE wrote:

Thanks for the info on making Ghee at home.
    I did yesterday and this morning I see the color of the Ghee is golden but it has an inch of white color on top.
    What is this?
    Thanks.
    BarbWE

February 21st, 2009 at 12:06 pm
  22. Cindy Lou wrote:

We agree…ghee DOES rule! We have tried several batches and it took your site to get it done right! Thank you! We also made it with non-organic unsalted butter and it turned out pretty good, but was grainier & not as solid…still tasty though. Once we got the process down, we used organic unsalted butter and it made all the difference. It is more solid and tastes even more delicious (if that is possible). We are making it for all of our friends and family now as little gifts…needless to say, they are hooked now too. Thank you again for the site!
    We hope your trip to Japan was ghee-reat! :)

February 22nd, 2009 at 10:47 pm
  23. Anjuli wrote:

Cindy: Thanks for the feedback! It’s always good to hear when higher quality foods make a VISIBLE difference in the dish. Glad you’re spreading the wealth. I love making ghee and putting ‘em in jam jars and handing ‘em out to virgins for a try.

July 13th, 2009 at 1:22 pm
  24. Anara wrote:

Thanks for the complete recipe. I had made ghee over 30 years ago as a then vegetarian. Trying the recipe recently from “memory” I forgot several steps in the process and was skimming of the foam, throwing it away, and using the brown remainder as the “ghee!” it was still delish!!! But never seemed like enough, as I was throwing quite a bit away lol. Well thanks to your fabulous pictorial tutorial, I’m on the right road now, and will let you know the awesome outcome. Thanks again so much sharing this wonderful healthy food with us.

July 22nd, 2009 at 6:38 pm
  25. Ben Cacace wrote:

Thanks for the excellent description. I made ghee the other night from books and a search of the web and thought I got the job done. The color of the final product in the pan was a clear caramel color which I thought was great but realized from the images on your site that I had gone way too far.

I’ll try it again with 3/4 of a pound of butter (3 sticks) … this made 1 cup of ghee.

Thanks again!

August 1st, 2009 at 1:50 am
  26. Finessa wrote:

I was searching the web for tips I used to make ghee a few years ago and I saw your name and had to read your comments.

I must say, these are the most engaging homemade ghee instructions ever. Love it and will use it.

And yes, ghee does in fact, kicks butter’s ass.

August 14th, 2009 at 2:29 pm
  27. Jenni wrote:

Ghee’s really easy to make, I’m so glad you’ve tried it! Next time you make it, try nibbling the solids on a chapati with a bit of jaggery, or mixed into plain rice. I have pictures of making ghee on my blog, if you are interested: http://mangosoup.blogspot.com/2009/08/making-ghee-and-note-on-healthy-cooking.html

August 16th, 2009 at 11:30 am
  28. Marimac Coffey wrote:

Well, I finally made ghee which is recommended for my diet with Eat Right For Your Type. The illustrations were perfect and the directions were easy to follow.
    Marimac

August 19th, 2009 at 8:22 pm
  29. Cindy wrote:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve been making it for several months now and will not be without my ghee! The pictures and very detailed description helped a lot, especially my first time, but I still keep coming back to it each time. I have learned to cook it at a lower temp though; the first time, it cooked very quickly and I overcooked it a little. Cooking at a lower temp (I use 2 on my gas stove) gives you a little more leeway if you haven’t been paying close attention.

September 28th, 2009 at 11:21 am
  30. june wrote:

Love your instructions to make the ghee. I have been trying to make the clarified butter and always have a hard time trying to get the milk solids out of it however I wasn’t using the cheese cloth. I use it for just about everything except when I use coconut oil.

October 19th, 2009 at 12:21 pm
  31. Crystal wrote:

I just tried your ghee recipe – it turned out perfect on the first try. Thank you so much for your help!

December 24th, 2009 at 11:46 pm
  32. Barbara wrote:

I wish I had found these instructions sooner. I found and used another set of instructions and I ended up making clarified butter, not ghee. The other instructions were good, but I think had I used these, I would have ended up with ghee.
    I kept waiting for the liquid to start turning gold/darker and it never did. I didn’t want to turn the heat up too much; I was afraid that I’d burn the butter. Also, I never stirred the mixture. The butter melted, I got the “first foam” but that never disappeared. Should I have stirred this? Any assistance would be appreciated. I DID use organic cultured butter, as I read that is it better to used cultured butter.
    Oh well, the batch was still less expensive than buying it in the store.
    Thank you.

December 28th, 2009 at 8:56 am
  33. Anjuli wrote:

Barbara: You have to stir ghee, run the spoon along the bottom, and watch for color changes. If you don’t stir, the foaming doesn’t happen properly and you can’t really tell where in the cooking process you are. As you become more of an expert, you will learn to cook ghee with minimal tending to, but in the beginning it really helps. If you got clarified butter, that’s great. Did you strain it? You could actually put it back on the stove and continue cooking it until it’s ghee. The big difference between ghee and clarified butter is that you continue to cook the milk solids until they caramelize and are completely separate from the rest of the butter. Hope this helps!

January 8th, 2010 at 2:21 pm
  34. Tunisia wrote:

I love to experiment with butter and didn’t know it was called Ghee. I learned that if I clarified butter the flavor was automaticly different and gooood! Yeah! go get those lobster tails and king crab claws right now. I will definitly try this recipe. And, you say it keeps for a year__that’s even better. Thankyou. Want to make stuffed crabs use this in the mix instead of butter. Make croutons being careful not to overdo it. Just think of all the butter recipes you now use and instead use ghee. Good luck waiting, it’s worth it.

January 25th, 2010 at 11:26 pm
  35. Dave wrote:

I also wanted to add that my wife is both lactose intolerant and cannot eat soy products which has made it impossible to find a butter substitute. Yes even products such as Olivio have soy in them. After some advice from a friend, we tried to cook some items in ghee tonight for dinner… Voila! No lactaid nec and no difference in taste! The only incorrect bit her friend had told her is that it was the same as clarified butter (which after reading this- clearly it is not).

I cant wait to get into the kitchen and give this a shot! Any tips for someone whom has NEVER made ghee in their kitchen? Thanks for the great blog!

January 26th, 2010 at 11:27 pm
  36. Anjuli wrote:

Tunisia: I’m happy to hear you like experimenting with butter. One word of advice – ghee is super flavorful, and doesn’t work in all places where clarified butter or butter are called for. I have not experimented with ghee and seafood, but am interested in seeing what you find out! I would think in some places the ghee will overpower the subtle taste of sea creatures. I have definitely found though, that it greatly enhances foods that would otherwise be cooked in oil, especially savory vegetable dishes. I also love to cook eggs in ghee instead of butter.

January 27th, 2010 at 7:06 pm
  37. Ann Marie wrote:

This sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to try it. I do wish you had a print feature on your site so we can print the recipes and photos without the comments and other links. Thanks.

February 15th, 2010 at 7:39 am
  38. Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup | Family Fresh Cooking wrote:

[...] can use salted or unsalted butter or Ghee <—- what I used.  I love having a jar of Ghee on my counter top.  It is joyful to have [...]

February 22nd, 2010 at 7:17 pm
  39. marla (Family Fresh Cooking) wrote:

Excellent post on ghee!! Love the stuff….for the taste and the ayurvedic qualities. I just linked back to your great blog for folks to learn the right way to make this. It is a mystery to most in the US, but something they should learn to do :)

February 22nd, 2010 at 9:42 pm
  40. Tracee wrote:

I recently found out I have a great deal of food allergies one of which is dairy products. I use a lot of real butter and was told to substitute it with ghee but could not find it in local stores. Was very excited to see recipe for ghee, love to cook, am going to try right away!!!

February 27th, 2010 at 12:07 am
  41. dg wrote:

exactly….how much butter is lost, should i be using about 2 sticks of butter to make ghee…….thanks, so much….dg

February 27th, 2010 at 6:29 pm
  42. Debby wrote:

Thank you, Anjuli! I’ve made clarified butter many times, and assumed (incorrectly) that it was the same as ghee. I made your recipe this afternoon, using 1# of butter. I must have had good butter, since I didn’t get a lot of milkfats. At any rate, your pictures and instructions made it very very easy. Now, I’m off to make Palak Paneer! Thank you so much for your guidance!!

February 27th, 2010 at 7:03 pm
  43. Anjuli wrote:

Marla: Thanks! Yea, since I started making ghee I haven’t looked back. Butter, ghee, oils, and lard all have their own place in cooking, but I am very partial to ghee both for how it nourishes my body and how it enhances food.

March 2nd, 2010 at 11:44 pm
  44. Anjuli wrote:

Tracee: Awesome. I had problems with dairy when I was younger as well, and had no problem cooking with ghee. I hope you enjoy using it!

March 2nd, 2010 at 11:45 pm
  45. Anjuli wrote:

Dg: Usually you’re really only straining off fats in the cheese cloth and then cooking down a bit of water. In total you’re losing about 1/2 cup. Of course how you use ghee is different, so you’d need to adjust recipes accordingly. Ghee melts more like an oil than butter. Hope that helps!

March 2nd, 2010 at 11:50 pm
  46. Anjuli wrote:

Debby: Glad it worked out! The yield for milk fats (not including what gets stuck in the bottom of the pan is usually only like 1/4 cup. So you shouldn’t lose that much. Hope your palak paneer turned out well. Yum!

March 2nd, 2010 at 11:51 pm
  47. Claudia wrote:

Thanks for sharing your tips! I especially appreciate the photos, showing the various stages of the recipe. And setting the timer for 45 minutes is a genius idea, since it gave me a much better sense of where I was in the process.

I made ghee this morning, using your approach. The only difference is how I strained the ghee after it finished cooking. I used a porcelain single-cone filter cone (these are also widely available in plastic, but I personally don’t feel comfortable exposing plastic to heat), lined with an unbleached #2 paper filter, to strain the ghee right into the glass container. Afterwards, the cone went into the dishwasher and the paper filter went into the trash. No fuss, no muss :-)

March 4th, 2010 at 3:08 pm
  48. Esther wrote:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I made ghee tonight using your method and it came out perfectly. The smell is simply delicious and taste is so smooth and light. My family came to the kitchen wondering what smelled so good! I really appreciate all the care you took in providing step by step instructions with photographs. They’re really better than all the ghee-making videos that I’ve seen on youtube put together. Thank you so much. I’m now a ghee fan for life!

March 6th, 2010 at 9:49 pm
  49. Elena wrote:

Thank you, great easy to follow directions. I made it first time using your recipe and it came out perfect.
    It seemed to be cooking a little faster than you mention in the directions, but I do have a gas stove top.
    Thank you again!

March 19th, 2010 at 9:31 am
  50. Anjuli wrote:

Elena: I’m glad it worked out. The key is paying attention the signs. The time measurement is just there for guidance and peace of mind :)

March 30th, 2010 at 8:38 am
  51. Anjuli wrote:

Esther: It’s so exciting to see gee fandom increasing. When I first made this recipe there were not many instructions about ghee online. But in this last couple of years, ghee has become increasingly popular. How could it not attract such attention with its heady smell, handsome color, and knack for being a welcome substitute for most other fats. Enjoy!

March 30th, 2010 at 8:42 am
  52. Anjuli wrote:

Claudia: Good show. I’ve been moving a lot recently, and do find myself in certain circumstances without the right size strainers and things. It’s a small disaster when this ends in a tablespoon or ghee being wasted down the side of the bottle and onto the countertop. I agree with you on not exposing plastic to hot food. Glad the recipe worked out!

March 30th, 2010 at 8:45 am
  53. Dandelion dal: Harvest your lawn | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] cup fresh (or frozen) grated coconut 1/3 teaspoon turmeric 1 teaspoon olive oil 1 1/2 tablespoon ghee or butter 16 oz freshly cut dandelion, washed repeatedly in cold water until clean and with flowers [...]

April 22nd, 2010 at 1:08 pm
  54. Noon Rogani | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] (all were Organic) 4 cups whole wheat flour 2 1/4 cups warm water 1 tablespoon ghee 3 tablespoons high gluten flour 2 teaspoons instant yeast Up to 2 cups all purpose flour 2 [...]

June 8th, 2010 at 12:00 pm
  55. Kichidi in a thermos | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] teaspoons spice blend 1 tablespoon ghee 1 teaspoon [...]

June 9th, 2010 at 7:51 pm
  56. Danneauxs wrote:

This is great. I kept the caramelized milk solids. mixed them with about 1/2 cup of sugar added a pinch of mace, a tiny half pinch of cardamom and a half pinch of salt and left it on low heat, stirring occasionally to mix it all well, for aoubt 6-8 minutes. Let it cool and then spinkled it over some Kulfi I made. Mmmmmm Mmmmmm Good.
    Danneauxs

July 8th, 2010 at 6:58 pm
  57. Skillet Corn Bread | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] 1 1/3 teaspoon Bakewell Cream* 1 2/3 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 2 large eggs 1/2 cup ghee 2 ears of fresh corn 1 tablespoon ghee for the [...]

August 30th, 2010 at 1:32 am
  58. Jenne wrote:

Anjuli,

I learned to make ghee forever ago when my brother traveled Sankirtan with the HK devotees, in Cleveland. But recently a friend of mine asked me how I made it, and I didn’t know, exactly. I did it mostly by sight and smell. So, I googled it and came upon your directions. I made it once following these directions just to make sure the timing would work, and it did….beautifully. Thank you so much. But I gotta ask…when was the last time you ever had a quart of ghee last a year?

October 2nd, 2010 at 6:14 pm
  59. Sugar Pumpkins – pepitas and puree | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] 1 1/2 cups pumpkins seeds, pre-soaked in salt solution and dried (see above 1 tablespoon ghee or butter 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder 1/2 [...]

November 1st, 2010 at 3:03 pm
  60. maria wrote:

I heard of the wonderful benefits of ghee at practical philosophy school and when home i looked up for the recipe.Your method and instructions where very helpful but the colour turned brown! The taste is still nutty though I feel something went wrong. Do you think I should have left it for half the time and should I throw it away? I only used 250gr of butter. Thanks for your help and useful recipes!

November 8th, 2010 at 4:37 pm
  61. Raksana dasa wrote:

Dear Expert Friend,
    I want to eat only organic bhasmati rice with organic ghee. What do you suggest I buy, to be able to make the organic ghee?
    Your well-wisher,
    Raksana dasa

December 8th, 2010 at 12:35 pm
  62. Anjuli wrote:

Raksana: You can make organic ghee simply by using organic butter. As for basmati, you can get it at any local health food store.

December 8th, 2010 at 4:04 pm
  63. mycookinghut wrote:

This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

January 30th, 2011 at 11:27 am
  64. Homemade Indian ghee « Silent Loudmouth's Blog wrote:

[...] Homemade Indian ghee if you dare | A Smart Mouth. LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

February 16th, 2011 at 9:56 am
  65. Melissa wrote:

I told my husband about this and he doesn’t think it’s cost effective. Thoughts?

March 26th, 2011 at 11:33 pm
  66. Anjuli wrote:

Melissa: How so? Because of the loss of water and milk solids? You are effectively making a hyper-concentrated butter which has added nutritional benefits, none of the negative effects of milk products and can keep much longer. So unless you’re talking about the hour spent making it, or you’re not buying butter already, I don’t see how cost factors in. Let me know.

March 27th, 2011 at 12:31 am
  67. Spelt Raisin Bread | A Smart Mouth wrote:

[...] cup whey 5 teaspoons SAF Gold Instant Yeast (If using active dry yeast use 2 packets) 4 tablespoons ghee 2 large eggs 1 tablespoon cinnamon 1 tablespoon salt 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped 3 [...]

March 27th, 2011 at 12:45 am
  68. Lamb Korma + Saag Paneer | Uber Ube wrote:

[...] this ghee. And what’s equally amazing as GHEE itself? This step by step illustrated how-to: Homemade Indian Ghee. I only used 3 sticks of butter to make mine and 5 minutes in, I started panicking ’cause my [...]

May 2nd, 2011 at 3:35 pm
  69. Laura wrote:

Thanks so much for the clear instructions and photos. Thanks to you, I made my own ghee for the first time today. It came out looking perfect (exactly like your pics). I can’t wait till it sets up and I can try it out. Thanks again!

June 21st, 2011 at 4:35 pm
  70. Tonya wrote:

Can salted butter be used?

July 19th, 2011 at 8:21 pm
  71. Anjuli wrote:

Tonya: Yes, you can use salted butter. It’s a slightly different process – there’s more foam – but when the ghee is done the salt will all go down the drain with the milk solids. Let me know how it goes!

July 20th, 2011 at 3:22 pm
  72. Tonya wrote:

The first batch was too done. The second one just now was perfect (once I realized what I was looking for and skimmed the foam off early in the process to see what was going on in the pan). Can’t wait to try the unburnt version =)

July 21st, 2011 at 9:54 am
  73. Tonya wrote:

Oh…and where you have to leave it open till it sets…I simply laid a coffee filter over the top and secured it with the jar ring. Can still cool but nothing floating in the air can get in. (we have 2 cats…lol)

July 21st, 2011 at 10:14 am
  74. determination of fat in ghee ? wrote:

please give me whole detail of how to determinate fat content in ghee ?

July 26th, 2011 at 1:07 am
  75. Erin wrote:

This worked great! Just wondering what the stuff is on the last picture on the left. I made this today, and didn’t have anything like that leftover.

August 15th, 2011 at 12:30 pm
  76. Anjuli wrote:

Fat content, hrm… Well, butter (in the US) is required to be 80% fat. When you make ghee, you’re evaporating most of the remaining liquid and separating the milk solids. So that would make it almost entirely fat, above, maybe 95%. So in a tablespoon, where there are 11/14 grams of fat in butter, maybe it would be more like olive oil, with 13.5/14. Although, remember, with olive oil it’s mostly monounsaturated, whereas with ghee it’s going to be more saturated (40-50%). Hope that helps!

Erin: The bottle on the left is the ghee once it has solidified. What it looks like directly off the stove is the more amber color you see on the right (what you would have seen).

August 16th, 2011 at 12:03 pm
  77. Leah wrote:

Thanks so much for these incredible instructions and photos! I made the ghee and it seemed to turn out perfectly – medium brown milk solids and beautiful golden ghee. But…after I let it set for about 8 hours uncovered, I saw that it got cloudy white-yellow. Could it be that I didn’t get all the milk solids out? Do you think I should heat again to try to extract those solids as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you again!

August 20th, 2011 at 1:04 am
  78. Anjuli wrote:

Leah: The color and texture can change based on a few things. Neither, though is a big deal, and in both cases you have made excellent ghee.

Change in color (white spots in yellow) can be due to inconsistent or fast cooling. Did you wait until the jar was completely cool before putting on the lid? If the ghee cooled down too quickly, the color can be spotty, but that doesn’t mean there are any milk solids inside!

The other is if you’ve used salted butter. This can result in a sort of gritty textured ghee (almost like little granules), but again, still awesome ghee. And the salt will be taken out with the milk solids, so it’s no biggie.

August 21st, 2011 at 3:36 pm
  79. Misha Dee wrote:

Great tutorial, Anjuli. I’m encouraged to try making my first batch this week.
    Do you have a recipe/ link on making Ghee from goat’s or sheep’s milk?
    Thanks so much.
    Happy cooking

August 21st, 2011 at 4:57 pm
  80. Anjuli wrote:

Misha Dee: I have to admit, I am not schooled in the process of making ghee from goat or sheep’s milk. Their fat properties are different, and I haven’t made nor have I come across delicious butter from either milk source. But of course it can be done! The process would be generally the same, but the time would vary, the separation of the milk solids would be different, and the overall stickiness and resulting quality of the ghee would be different as well. Sheep milk has more fat than cow and goat’s milk the same, but both are naturally homogenized from the animal. This means locating the fat and making the butter is quite a challenge. So if you have the butter, I would by all means give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

August 22nd, 2011 at 10:23 am
  81. Carmelita Fish wrote:

I bought a jar of ready made ghee from the Indian market.
    I hate to waste the residue half left. What will I do with it? Can I uase it for cooking?

September 9th, 2011 at 2:37 pm
  82. Anjuli wrote:

Carmelita: I’m not sure what you mean by residue? Yes, you can use ghee in place of oil to make all sorts of vegetables; you can freeze it and use it in place of crisco in baking. Here’s a link to the recipes I have using ghee – http://blog.asmartmouth.com/tag/ghee/

Hope this answers your question!

September 10th, 2011 at 2:05 pm
  83. Gee… What is “Ghee”?! | Paleo Village wrote:

[...] become so high that they are no longer able to keep-up with the supply.[2] Continue reading… Ghee is… Ghee is a clarified butter that is golden and gives a nutty flavour when cooked. The …larified butter that is golden and gives a nutty flavour when cooked. The word “Ghee” is [...]

September 16th, 2011 at 5:56 pm
  84. Dianne wrote:

Hi Ayurveda

I tried your recipe instructions on making ghee. Mine was a dark amber but it did not smell are taste burnt. The solids on the bottom were very dark. Why do you think this happened?

September 17th, 2011 at 7:57 pm
  85. Anjuli wrote:

Dianne: The reason your ghee was darker in color is because you cooked it longer/at a slightly higher temp for the same amount of time. Either that, or you didn’t take it off the heat immediately and it turned a bit darker? Either way, if the solids did not turn black/char and the ghee and solids have a good smell and taste to them, you’ve made some fabulous ghee. So enjoy it!

September 18th, 2011 at 10:24 am
  86. kate wrote:

Sorry for my ENglish :) I made the ghee, but there was a little bit of foam on the top after it burnt. I strained it through a towel immedietly when it was hot. All brown solids stayed on the towel and in the pot, and I think, the foam stayed on the towel also, but I am not sure. The ghee in the jar was like Your – a thiny film from mini-foam bubbles on the top. I need to eliminate all of lactose and casein – do I have to do it once more and at first, before straining, skimm the bubbles/foam off?

September 20th, 2011 at 4:06 pm
  87. Ranju wrote:

I wanted to make ghee out of malai….. usually i make butter first and then by heatin it, ghee…. this time i forgot to make butter and directly started heatin malai… then realised i havnt made butter… i boiled it for like 1 hour on sim gas…..then thought to make mawa out of it, now i have stoppped the process in between… will it become maWA once it cools?if not ,wat do i do with wat i have made… please reply

September 23rd, 2011 at 5:23 pm
  88. Anjuli wrote:

Ranju: You’ve probably figured it out already, but yes, the malai should be like mawa. Malai is halfway between the process of milk and mawa already. Did it work out for you? If it doesn’t solidify you may have to cook it a bit more. I’m not sure about the timing. Let me know!

September 24th, 2011 at 11:59 am
  89. Mihri wrote:

Hi, can I use a paper coffee filter instead of a cheese cloth to filter the ghee? Please reply. I want to make this delicious ghee soon :)

October 31st, 2011 at 4:55 pm
  90. penelope wrote:

HI Anjuli

I love your description and just made my second ever, perfect batch of ghee. i looked up your recipe because I couldnt call my friend and confirm about stirring. Its a lovely piece.

I must comment though, ghee is not “less fatty” as you state in the comments, that “you strain off the milk fats” its actually the milk solids ie sugar and protein residue that is removed leaving beautiful pure milk fat…. pure gold!

Cheers!

November 10th, 2011 at 5:28 am
  91. penelope wrote:

ps the first batch of ghee i made (while supervised :-) was with goat butter. It turned out perfectly too. So I guess thats 3 perfect batches of golden goodness!

November 10th, 2011 at 5:31 am
  92. Julian wrote:

Hello Anjuli,

thanks for this wonderful recipe! It was my first try and it worked out perfectly! The taste is great, pure and in meals.
    In my country, you can buy “ghee”, but mostly it is not the true one, it’s just clarified butter… and I didn’t find any good recipe in German language.

So, thanks a lot and greetings from Germany!

J.

December 11th, 2011 at 1:59 am
  93. Julia wrote:

Hi Anjuli -
    I’ve used various brands of ghee before (and one I just recently found out was probably made with water buffalo milk rather than cow milk, but still tasty!), and have wanted to make some at home. I’ve been collecting ghee making websites, searching for the ones that seem to be clearest in directions. Had a bunch lined out and then did a different search on a different website and up came yours! Wow – the pictures really give me a lot of confidence.

The only questions I have really may be a desire to clarify what you mean, but in the list of supplies, you mention “metal funnel” but in directions you only discuss a “strainer”. I actually have one aluminum funnel, a few plastic ones, and a tiny stainless steel funnel (supposed to be used for perfume but I’ve never used it at all.). Then I have 3 or 4 stainless steel wire mesh strainers, sort of like window screen material but finer and stainless steel, with the handle and a shorter “lip ” on the other side to easily drape over the mouth of a container… Which of the two do I actually use?

Does it make a difference in the quality of the ghee whether I use aluminum or stainless steel strainers or funnels? So much in the news about using aluminum vs. stainless steel utensils in food prep that I’m leaning towards stainless steel, but curious what your thoughts were on that?

And on the two pounds of butter cooking for 45 minutes, what is the approximate volumne that actually gets poured into a jar? How large of a jar should I have available? Are we talking pints (16 oz) of ghee or quarts (32 oz) (or liters whatever, I realize you have a global audience but I have never been able to get the hang of metric system. I can barely function in imperial but it’s what I know! Sorry!).

Let’s see, my memory dredges up “a pint’s a pound the world around” which I’m sure is a throwback to Colonialism, so that means um (thinking), 2 pounds of butter is ummm 2 pints which is 1 quart, right? more or less. But it’ll cook down – right? all the bubbling and straining, there’s a certain amount of reduction taking place?

Today I found a ghee made in Colorado and it is in a glass jar with a screw top lid.I was wondering if that’s okay to use during the cooling process, rather than a glass jar with the lock-down clasps like you have in your photos?

Otherwise, I’m guessing you would use the lock down jars, and then once it was cooled off, transfer it into a jar with the screw top lid like I got today?

The other brand of ghee I have used, was actually in a tin can. I can’t remember if it was sealed with a film of plastic cellophane and then once it was opened, I just used the red plastic lid that came over it? or if I had to open up the can with a can opener and then use the red lid to seal it up between uses?

These are commercially available ghee that I’ve bought in the past, and I’m not sure how easy or hard it is to transfer from one container to the other once it has cooled? (not to reuse these containers, necessarily, more as a guide to planning ahead which containers I should get or plan to use.) I have wide mouth canning jars, but most are taller than wider, so I don’t want to be unable to get to the ghee at the bottom of the jar. Or is it better to strain it and then after it is strained but before it gets too solid, then pour it into the intended container?

Anyway hope you are still accepting comments on this even though it’s an older blog. I am really anxious to try it out!

Thanks.

January 13th, 2012 at 12:06 am
  94. Kelli wrote:

Hi Anjuli-

Thank-you so much for this detailed Ghee recipe- It turned out perfect the very first time- those visuals are so incredibly helpful! It took me a little over a month to read all the reviews and read your directions so many times I could repeat them in my sleep- but the lovely golden Ghee which sits on my counter is a testament to your gift for teaching others using succinct instructions and fabulous images! YOU ROCK!

Kelli

January 26th, 2012 at 6:22 pm
  95. Sarah Smart wrote:

Excellent tutorial!!! Made my first batch today using my farmer’s raw milk butter! Perfect recipe, can’t wait to send my Indian friend a jar for her birthday! Thanks so much:-)

February 12th, 2012 at 9:29 pm
  96. annjali wrote:

i wanted to ask if u can make ghee with eggs my feind said yes we could just need to make sure.

thanks

February 19th, 2012 at 2:46 pm
  97. Anjuli wrote:

Annjali: I’m not sure what you mean? Do you mean make ghee FROM eggs or make eggs WITH ghee? You can most certainly fry some eggs with ghee, but I am not at all familiar w/ making ghee w/ butter and eggs. Let me know.

February 19th, 2012 at 10:17 pm
  98. Jennifer wrote:

Can you tell me how much ghee you get from 2 pounds of butter? Can’t wait to try this as I haven’t used ghee in years and really miss it!

February 29th, 2012 at 9:16 pm
  99. Lydytas sviestas ghee | Pabandykim sveikiau wrote:

[...] Procesas trunka apie 40-60 min (priklausomai nuo lydomo sviesto kiekio). Labiausiai man padėjo šis detalus step by step aprašymas :) Todėl nesikartosiu, o tik trumpai [...]

March 4th, 2012 at 8:17 am
  100. Ghee, that was a good meal! | La gringa en la cocina wrote:

[...] If you want to purchase ghee it’s best to start your search at a natural food store or a large grocery store that sells international food items such as Whole Foods or Wegmans (if you’re living the US). Just make sure that you buy ghee that has been derived from animals–not the hydrogenated oil kind (it will be devoid of all the properties I mentioned above). If not, you can try at an Asian food store. If you still have no luck or want to try your own hand at making ghee, it involves a somewhat tedious process but is not overly difficult to prepare. I found a great website that details every step of the ghee making process, check it out! [...]

March 24th, 2012 at 2:04 pm
  101. Good Golly, I made GHEE! « Farm Gal At Heart wrote:

[...] what I’d been used to.  I purchased butter in bulk (4lbs) at Sams, and followed a ghee recipe that CACL had sent me a link to.  I think she sent me the recipe, not so much for me to make [...]

April 12th, 2012 at 2:40 pm
  102. Carrie Dickson wrote:

Is it possible to reheat the clarified butter to make ghee, even if it’s cooled completely?

April 16th, 2012 at 2:49 pm
  103. Ernie Hubbard wrote:

Made my first batch of ghee, today. It turned out perfect on the first try (well, perfect to me, as I have nothing to compare it to). It smells SO good. Ate lunch and even though no longer hungry, the aroma of ghee is keeping my mouth watering! Thank you for your instruction!!!

May 4th, 2012 at 1:26 pm
  104. Kumuda wrote:

Hi,
    you have made the whole process of making ghee look doable. I was tensed and as you said process of ghee making is always ‘you should see’ to know it. staying away from home i tried to make ghee with your detailed instructions and guess what.. it turned out awesome. This is probably the third time i am referring your post to make ghee (just want to make sure i make it right).
    Thank you for the wonderful post.

May 15th, 2012 at 1:25 pm
  105. Ailee wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this way back in 08! You made it sound so simple & delicious that I couldn’t wait to make it.

I poured it out of the pot when it was golden colour but the milk solids were still white – very yummy but I could not smell anything. I returned it to the pot for a little bit more till I could smell the caramel & I’m so glad I did because you did mention “until the milk solids caramelize”, ahhhhhhh the secret!!! Am enjoying the gorgeous aroma – keep stopping by to get a sniff each time I walk past the ghee, hehehe.

I used the Australian Safeway homebrand unsalted butter & it came out perfect – no need to buy branded stuff which cost twice as much :)

Once again, tankQ so very mooochly, Anjuli!!!

July 1st, 2012 at 6:59 am
  106. bethany wrote:

Thank you so much for this detailed tutorial. I just made my first batch, so I have no idea what it will taste like, but it smells positively delightful. I can’t wait to start using it tomorrow!

July 13th, 2012 at 8:22 pm
  107. Manila Clams with Basil + Notes on BUTTER | Uber Ube wrote:

[...] to make Ghee. THIS you can saute with. In fact, use it instead of oil from here on out. It doesn’t burn. [...]

August 5th, 2012 at 11:20 pm
  108. Liquid Gold « artistruthcreative wrote:

[...] used these instructions to make my first batch of ghee and now just do it by memory. Each batch turns out [...]

September 10th, 2012 at 7:59 am
  109. glor wrote:

Would like a hard copy of this.

September 11th, 2012 at 3:42 pm
  110. Ghee: It’s butter, but better | Learning Curd wrote:

[...] can make your own ghee (here’s a thorough recipe from A Smart Mouth Blog), or you can purchase it, like I did. Mine came from Purity Farms, and can be found at Whole [...]

September 25th, 2012 at 4:25 pm
  111. mary wrote:

We have made ghee in our home for years and have had a couple of times when we cooked it much too long, according to our expectations, and found the solids burned at the bottom of the pan and the ghee dreadfully dark but do you know what? We LOVE that taste! Talk about caramel!! Sometimes we let it cook too long just so we can make caramel-stuffed chocolate covered dates. So I say, if you have a mishap, DON’T THROW IT OUT!! Taste it after it sets, you might like it!

October 14th, 2012 at 12:33 pm
  112. Clarified Butter and Ghee « My Plan For World Domination wrote:

[...] A Smart Mouth has one of the best articles on the two that I have ever seen.  In it they state: [...]

October 15th, 2012 at 9:24 pm
  113. Gene wrote:

What a wonderful description. I made some ghee a little while ago, and stood by the pot skiming the froth; this looks much easier. Also, I bought ghee at two dofferent stores; one is solid at room temperature, the other runny. Can you tell me what makes them different?

October 18th, 2012 at 4:18 pm
  114. Debra wrote:

Hi Anjuli. Thank you so much for posting such great instructions. My ghee was finished in 44.5 min almost exactly what you described. I had my doubts as to whether or not my ghee would turn out as I’m a novice in the kitchen and tried my hand at making my own butter for the second time today. I started with 32 oz heavy whipping cream (not organic although I would have preferred it to non-organic) and ended up with 12 oz buttermilk and the rest butter. I had a tough time trying to wash the butter as it was a lot softer and pliable than the first time so I was concerned that the butter I was using in the ghee has too much buttermilk in it since I feel it wasn’t rinsed as well as it could be.

My butter generally looked lighter than yours in the photos but I’ve attributed it to different cows and their diets. There was a little bit of water and buttermilk in the mix but it seemed to separate and stick to the milk solids so it seemed to turn out well. The final product seems to be the same color as yours though. I’ve taken a few photos of the ghee if you’re interested in seeing :-)

Thanks bunches and it was a lot of fun!

November 11th, 2012 at 8:32 pm
  115. Anjuli wrote:

Hi Debra: Sounds like everything turned out well!

As for making the butter. Making uncultured butter from heavy whipping cream this way does produce a softer butter and will have quite a bit of whey as a byproduct. If you wanted to go for something more solidified, it’s best to make a cultured butter out of straight top cream. Do you have access to unhomogenized milk from a farm? (This may be laughable, depending on where you live.) If you do, I could send you some simple instructions on how to make yoghurt and then butter from it.

Either way, I don’t think it will affect your ghee, as long as you’re patient with straining out the whey from the butter. You don’t want that acidity to get into the ghee. If you’re nervous, you can always wait for the butter to solidify – did you do that? A little bit of extra whey usually pools out when you put it in the fridge, and then you can just drain it off before making the ghee.

Let me know if this helps!

November 17th, 2012 at 1:24 pm
  116. JACKB wrote:

Made the Ghee according to your instructions with 1 lb unsalted butter. Ingredients listed were pasteurized cream, natural flavors added. Results were exactly as you describe, color before & after it turns solid. Orangish bits in bottom of pan etc. However after it was solid it was very gritty. Looked like bacon grease solid. What happened?.

December 10th, 2012 at 10:53 pm
  117. clauudia wrote:

These were by far the best, clearest instructions I’ve seen yet! Just made a batch of ghee and it turned out great, far better than most of my previous efforts. Mille grazie.

December 15th, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  118. Deborah wrote:

I’ve followed your instructions twice now, with perfect results each time! The pictures and description of each stage helps SO much. Homemade ghee is so easy and SO much more economical than buying it, that I can splurge on organic butter to make it with and still save a bundle. Thank you SO much! And thank you from the family members who have and will receive it as gifts.

December 23rd, 2012 at 4:13 pm
  119. A miller wrote:

Took waaay longer than 45 min. I used 2 pounds butter plus the milk solids never browned

January 12th, 2013 at 10:46 pm
  120. Bakul wrote:

Hi, I now make ghee in the microwave and it turns out great! One need not keep watching and stirring it, but of course we have to be attentive with such a precious ingredient:-). Thanks for all your lovely tips on the final cooling and its effect on the look of the ghee.

February 19th, 2013 at 3:17 am
  121. p.j. wrote:

my first attempt is cooling in the kitchen right now! appears to be perfect, thanks to your detailed instructions! looking forward to sharing with my family. thank you so much for the details!

February 21st, 2013 at 2:38 pm
  122. Dede wrote:

Thank you for such a descriptive tutorial. I made ghee and then realized after finding this post, that it was clarified butter. I reheated the clarified butter but without stirring and ghee came out dark amber but smelled incredible and tasted great also. I decided to make a 2nd batch after more thoroughly reading your guide so the second batch never had any browned bits since I stirred it every minute or two. It is cooling now and the color is deep yellow so do you think I have clarified butter? The pot I used both batches is a light brown glass sauce style pan so could that be an issue? Or do you think I stirred too much and never allowed browning on bottom? Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

February 27th, 2013 at 4:56 pm
  123. Randy wrote:

I used a ceramic coated, cast iron pot and it took only about 30 minutes for the 2 pounds of unsalted butter I used. It looks great and the milk solids look to be a dark terra cotta. I think it turned out perfect. Thanks for your recipe!

March 10th, 2013 at 11:50 pm
  124. Along the path wrote:

To respond to Bakul;
    Ghee is known for its healthful properties & part of its vitality is experienced in how you approach it. When you chose to cultivate patience & be present with process of making the ghee & afterward imbibing your effort, you will not only enjoy the taste, but will have connected with the source by participating in its creation & transformation.
    If you walk away to be somewhere else, I wonder if the healthful potential you are seeking is likely forced out of the butter by the violent action of the microwaves moving the molecules so abruptly & fast? We are all in such a hurry these days… but bigger, faster, doesn’t always relate to better. Less is more.
    One way I can think to relate this to you is the example of a woman bonding with her child through the tactile senses & the exchange of nourishing mother’s milk through breast feeding and a woman who puts a bottle in her baby’s mouth, props it up on the couch & walks away. She then wonders why her baby isn’t as happy, healthy, and intelligent as the breast fed child, but hasn’t connected the relationship of her hurried & disconnected action. Love takes time. It takes attention. Add that essential ingredient to any cooking in your kitchen and people will always notice the difference, whatever the recipe.
    Part of it is in the purity & perfect balance that only nature provides & part of it is the quality of your loving attention that you put into the experience. In my view, when we rush the natural processes, we lose more than we are aware of.
    I hope this comment is helpful to the conversation. If it helps u take it to heart if not, disregard it.
    Maya Tiwari is an excellent teacher about the care in making & benefits of imbibing this most sacred of substances, ghee. I recommend any of her books.

March 19th, 2013 at 2:37 pm
  125. Decor home wrote:

i have been reading your blog for a while now, and i really do love your writing, i was wondering is there any way you can get updates for the latest article you post on email or even cell, Forgive my immaturity in this as i am really new to this internet stuff

March 30th, 2013 at 7:36 am
  126. Joeann Stoeckel wrote:

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is magnificent, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about Homemade Indian ghee if you dare | A Smart Mouth .

June 11th, 2013 at 12:38 am
  127. krishna Dharpale wrote:

Can anybody help/suggest me to make ghee granular. I am making ghee with direct cream method

August 29th, 2013 at 3:22 am
  128. Neal Pearson wrote:

Dear Anjuli, I love your ghee site. My first effort at following your instructions worked perfectly, but some of the ghee didn’t set at all – and stayed liquid at room temperature for weeks. I think that is fine though as I mainly used it for stir-frying instead of using a vegetable oil.

On my second attempt, I learned that one cannot rush the process at a higher temperature, as I burnt the butter and had to tip it all away. I think that setting a 45-minute timer is a very good guide to the perfect temperature, and the “fizzy” stage is a very noticeable time to remove it from the heat and transfer it to a warmed jar. I have found making ghee following your instructions very therapeutic and relaxing – almost a Zen-like process. So pleased to have stumbled across your brilliant ghee-making site. Best wishes – Neal Pearson.

September 3rd, 2013 at 4:08 pm
  129. Kim wrote:

Can you make ghee in the oven instead of on top of stove??

September 18th, 2013 at 12:59 pm
  130. inuglaf wrote:

Hi, I have some queries. Often when I’m baking something, the recipe calls for creaming butter and sugar. In fact, buttercream icing requires mixing of butter and confectioners’ sugar. However, while im at it (creaming), what happens is that my butter does not remain light and fluffy and results in the formation of ghee. Could you offer any tips so i can avoid it?

November 20th, 2013 at 6:16 am
  131. Ghee | a Rosy Glow wrote:

[...] back to the ghee.  I found this article and decided that it was a better explanation than the one I had read previously.  So I melted my [...]

January 14th, 2014 at 9:59 am
  132. Peter Nicolson wrote:

Ghee. Wow. Nice recipe. I liked it yaar.

January 24th, 2014 at 6:26 am
  133. artisanrox wrote:

Good instructions, good stuff. I cooked Indian for the first time earlier this week and wanted to make some ghee for it. It’s only myself and mom at home so I do one pound of butter in an 8-inch skillet.

I’ll share your page widely and often. Thank you so much!!

March 15th, 2014 at 11:59 am
  134. Niels wrote:

Anjuli, thank you for this insight in how to make Ghee.
    When I was a little kid, I went with my parents to England and we often went with friends to an Indian restaurant. With the naan there came always a pink coloured side dish, very very spicy. Do you perhaps know what this could be? Anyway, I learned also to make Ghee, from an Ayurveda book and the instructions are similar to yours, only, in the book they suggested not to cook the butter, or let it boil, but keep the heat as low as possible. Then, when the time is right, not to caramelise or burn the milk solids. Keep steering every 10 min, or around it. Then, when all milk solid is creamy white, strain for the first time. Then heat up again until the Ghee has foam. The color of the Ghee should be gold or light amber. Strain again. For the first strain I use a fry strain (Chinese) used for frying fegies in a wok. In the book they advise clothe or cheese clothe. For the second straine, I use the same and the third strain I use metal straine with cotton clothe. The Ghee should by then be without any bubbles and milk solids. It takes some more time, but this should be in my opinion the tastiest and perfect Ghee all times! Just like yours! And this way you have no chance of burning, unless you forgot you were making Ghee and left it on the stove :-D.

April 14th, 2014 at 7:09 am
  135. Niels wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention two things,

The butter Ghee leftover milk solids are very useful for the taste when you make your own cheese!

Second, when you strain the Ghee for the second time, you will have a very small amount catamalised milk solids left… This makes the flavour subtile and even more delicious. But that is my opinion!

Now I will read the rest of your blogs :-).

April 14th, 2014 at 7:22 am
  136. Niels wrote:

*caramelises

April 14th, 2014 at 7:23 am
  137. Niels wrote:

And now I understand your relatives claim. The more you get out the particles or milk solids, the longer the Ghee will maintain ehehehe.

April 14th, 2014 at 7:44 am
  138. Ghee Whiz – an “almost-butter” alternative for the dairy intolerant | The Real Food Chronicles wrote:

[...] for insight into the process, I turned to Anjuli of Smart Mouth’s post called Homemade Indian ghee if you dare.  I highly recommend you visit her post for troubleshooting and cooking tips based on her [...]

May 27th, 2014 at 1:06 pm
  139. anvita wrote:

I have burnt the butter its blk liquid … can this burnt butter be of any use
    for a massage or anything .. sad to throw it away

June 26th, 2014 at 4:36 am